The VR (Virtual Reality) theme park mentioned in this article includes three levels of product: VR offline experience shop, VEC virtual entertainment center, VR theme park.
- VR theme park overview
In 2015, China’s biggest contribution to the global virtual reality (VR) industry was to discover the product of VR offline experience stores. This form of similar video game hall broke unexpectedly strong vitality and quickly became an important part of the VR industry.
On the other hand, the two major offline VR entertainment products, The VOID (USA) and Zero Latency (Australia), put forward the concept of Virtual Entertainment Center (VEC), which attracted the attention of the industry.
At the same time, the combination of VR technology and traditional theme parks is also underway. Some foreign companies have announced VR theme park projects with the intention of applying VR and AR (Augmented Reality) technologies to theme parks.
These three forms are collectively referred to as VR theme parks. Their common feature is the application of VR-based technologies to the traditional field, which in turn gives birth to new entertainment products.
- The value of VR theme park
1) Represents the future of entertainment
The VR theme park has an entertainment experience that exceeds everything, and it will violently impact the traditional video game halls, cybercafes, live CS venues, 4D/5D cinemas, playgrounds, and theme parks, becoming the main form of entertainment industry in the future.
2) Important offline channels in the VR era
VR theme park has VR hardware sales, VR content distribution, VR brand display three major functions, is an extremely important force in the era of VR. Based on this important value, the VR theme park has gained a lot of attention from the capital, institutions and companies that focus on the offline industry.
- VR theme park form
- VR offline experience shop
- Definition: refers to an offline place where a variety of VR entertainment products are placed, and provides users with a VR experience through a paid experience.
- The main technical fields: VR helmets and related, interactive technology, industrial design, equipment manufacturing, VR software development.
- Profit model: Pay-based experience is the main source of income, and brand promotion and product sales may be added in the future.
- Product form: mostly small-scale business, with an area of about 10 square meters and no more than 100 square meters. At present, the 9D VR egg chair cinema is the main product form, and the single-shop investment cost is about 10000 dollars, and the cost is normally recovered in 3-5 months. Some stores have losses, mainly because of insufficient traffic; some stores have strong profitability, and monthly revenues are between 30000 dollars and 50000 dollars(full of people). In the early stage, it was based on a single store, and it quickly developed into a chain operation model. It was quickly copied through a large-scale method to increase the profitability.
- Development trend :
- Scale-up effect: The number of experiential stores will increase rapidly and chain stores will be stronger. At the same time, as the product variety increases, the industry becomes more mature. The area of single stores will gradually expand, and some experience shops with an area of 500 square meters or more will begin to appear.
- Revenue sharing: In the past, the day-to-day storefront return was owned by the operator, and now it is not only distributed to the solution providers but also to content developers.
- Quality Improvement: In order to enhance the user experience and extend the operating life of offline stores, VR content and hardware devices are all improving quality. In terms of content, the picture quality is clearer, the experience is better, a multiplayer interaction mode has emerged, and IP has gradually been introduced; in terms of hardware, content has been diversified and categories have also increased, such as racing, roll-over chairs, skiing, and bicycles.
- A variety of offline stores are involved: The previous VR offline stores are basically set up separately. With the gradual maturation of VR products, traditional video game halls will soon enter this market, and even some offline entertainment venues will intervene or are involved. , including some children’s places, cinemas, traditional shops.
- Definition : Combines location tracking technology with specially designed venues to allow one or more users to move more freely to complete a VR entertainment experience on a specific topic
- Main technical fields: Head-display and related, interactive, industrial design, equipment manufacturing, VR software development, multi-user interaction, wireless transmission or portability, position tracking, motion capture, natural simulation (such as wind, rain), force feedback
- Profit model:Paid experience + Peripheral sales, sustainable exploration.
- Product form: With an area of more than 100 square meters and a specially designed venue, the user experience is basically free of restrictions and can move freely to experience a piece of VR content. At present, to achieve this goal, most of the methods of wearing a PC-type head display and carrying a PC host (or a notebook) also use wireless transmission technology, but the content that can be carried is subject to certain restrictions. In order to provide a more realistic experience for the user, physical factors such as the heater, sprayer, and fan are also needed to deepen the user experience.
- Industry status: At present, it is still in the layout stage. Since the beginning of January this year, several VEC theme stores have been opened in China. However, the quality and methods of content experience still need to be improved.
- Development Trends: This year will be the initial year for the VEC. During the year, In China ,more than 100 VEC stores are expected to emerge, mainly in commercial shopping centers, as well as in scenic areas and other densely populated areas. In terms of VEC types, there will be a variety of situations, such as the Space VR Pavilion, Ocean VR Pavilion, VR CS, VR Arena, VR Werewolf Hall…
3)VR theme park
Definition : A theme park that combines VR technology. In an extreme situation, it refers to a theme park that is completely presented in a virtual world. All the contents are presented and experienced in VR. It can be called a VR theme virtual park.
Main technical fields: Head-up and related, interactive, industrial design, equipment manufacturing, VR software development, multi-user interaction, wireless transmission or portability, position tracking, motion capture, natural simulation (eg wind, rain), force feedback, construction design.
Profit model:Paid experience + Peripheral sales, sustainable exploration.
Product form: The primary form is the transformation of an existing theme park, which is generally not complete. The intermediate form is a theme park designed for VR and has more VR elements. The ultimate form is a VR theme park that exists entirely in the virtual world. Users wear the VR headset and enter the park and select a project to experience.
Since the cost and risks of this project are too large to suit the general entrepreneurial community, there is no excessive discussion here.
In general, these three forms of VR theme parks have their own characteristics and attributes, which apply to different regions and people, and have different construction cycles and operating methods. In the future, these three forms will also coexist for a long time and bring different colors to our lives. The purpose of our article is to deepen the entrepreneur’s understanding of this area and help entrepreneurs choose the right VR project and the right product. I hope that after reading it can help you, if you have any questions or suggestions please feel free to contact us